I'm a sucker for a serum.
You're preaching to the choir if you try to sell me one because I already understand the benefits.
01. They are much more concentrated than a moisturiser.
02. The lighter consistency means they soak in to your skin quicker and better and in most cases reaches the deeper layers of your skin.
03. They enhance the use of the rest of your skincare.
04. You can use less moisturiser if you apply it on skin that's still damp from a serum.
05. Often the most research is done on 'the most concentrated' product in a range.
I could go on all day. But I won't. Because I only want to talk about one serum today.
I've been using this product for over a month now so I think I'm qualified to give you a decent review.
I use it after cleansing and toning (morning and night), and when my skin is about 90% dry I put on a little bit of the Génifique after warming it up in my hands. I use nearly one pump full. As I only have the 20ml size, one pump full may alter between the larger size bottles, mine dispenses two drops each pump.
I'm a good advocate for warming the product up in your hands before using it. This is a quick action to get the serum to your body temperature before applying, not a wasteful 5 minute rub-in where all the product is absorbed by your hands!
I also like to make sure my skin is marginally damp so the serum can spread over my entire face and neck without tugging or pulling and use a pat and press motion.
This is how I do it ;)
Now that you've all seen me without my makeup on I'll tell you what the product is supposed to do.
Lancôme Génifique is a Youth Activator Serum that is supposed to provide the correct environment for Youth Proteins to multiply and repair your DNA of damage so your skin looks 'youthful' again. I think you should know that this isn't a product for 'Old Ladies'. Anyone who wants their skin to look more youthful can use it. I'm using it under my regular Clarins skincare.
Génifique contains the key ingredients:
01. Bifida Ferment Lysate - This ingredient is second on the list after water indicating a good concentration. Supposed to help repair DNA.
02. Sodium Hyaluronate - My old friend. A molecule that can hold many, many, many times its own weight in water so is very hydrating.
03. Adenosine - A cell-communicating ingredient that drives a number of biological skin processes including protein synthesis.
04. Salicyloyl Phytosphingosine - Research has shown that this product is capable of repairing aged skin, including sun damage and wrinkles.
These are just a few of the good (and the not so good, Alcohol Denat) ingredients in Lancôme Génifique.
If I'm being honest there aren't too many more ingredients to it.
I like the way it feels on my skin. It has definitely plumped and smoothed my skin (Glycerin and Dimethicone??) and I feel like it is more hydrated (thanks, Sodium Hyaluronate!). I haven't noticed any reduction in my pigmentation though and that is one of the reasons why I'm using it. It does say on the box that after 8 weeks you regain the signature of younger looking skin though so I'll give it a few more weeks.
All in all I really like this product for the way my skin feels and looks and I would recommend it. In the future I would buy the 50ml size just because it is more economical for the price than the 20ml, but I wasn't sure if I was going to like it.
Do you use a serum? Which one?
- Lizy x
What I have learnt during the making of this post.
Black shiny objects do not photograph well!!